Monday 26 November 2012

The Blog that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now

Well this fourth blog seems long overdue to some, rather unnecessary to most (probably), but I've restrained from writing one without anything to actually talk about.
Firstly, as most of you will know, the month of November has been renamed Movember as part of a male cancer awareness scheme, more specifically prostate and testicular cancer (http://uk.movember.com/about/). Now, as a young upstart with some facial fuzz to grow, I decided to take part this year (last year I took part, but didn't actually decide to, it just happened mostly due to laziness). As of the writing of this blog, the tash has been pretty tragic but it stays until December 1st. Anyway, I also had an Otley Run to prepare for, which had a comic-book/cartoon character theme going on. Seizing the opportunity to geek out whilst also wearing a suit, I decided to go as Commissioner Gordon from Batman (picture below). Easy costume: I have a suit, I have the glasses (3D glasses without lenses) so all I need is police stuff and a tash. "Perfect excuse for Movember", I foolishly thought to myself. Learning from last year's proud/disgusting entry for the November slot on the Chinstrap calender for 2012, I thought "Surely a year on, my moustache will grow more than last time, as well as some long overdue cheek action". Well, I was so wrong. I could've easily got a job as an ignorant french waiter with the pencil I had going on. Very far from the proud caterpillar that sits on Commissioner Gordon's top lip. I therefore bought a fake tash from the local fancy dress shop. I've been proudly sporting it at home since Saturday's Otley Run when my housemates aren't around. I'd have liked to have tried to convince you that what you see below (me, not Gary Oldman's depiction of the Commissioner) is my Movember effort, but lo! it is not.



What is worse is that not only for half of the night (the sober half, sadly) I had it on upside down, but once we got to the O2 Academy after having abandoned the Otley Run, they had a special Movember night, giving out free fake moustaches to everybody. I no longer stood out amongst costumed people as a man in a suit with a fake tash and lense-less 3D glasses. Oh well...

Also, as you should be able to see from the above picture (if you don't....wow) I have had my wig chopped. The sheep has been sheared, and I've got to say, it was the weirdest experience I've ever had at a barbers. Great though. Here's what happened. After having trudged around Leeds looking for a barbers still open at 4:30pm which didn't have a gay Mediterranean-looking gentleman admiring himself rather than his client in the mirror, I looked on tinternet on my phone and found one on google. I didn't google those exact specifications, but it was along those lines if I remember. Taking another 20 minutes of walking around Leeds, not realising how big it was, I found it. However, once sat down, I got conversing with the barber, as you do, but stupidly let slip the lie of me having been recommended this specific barbers. I didn't realise that this certain barber seemed to know everybody who comes in there and their grandma! (I actually wouldn't have been surprised at all if he knew my Grandma. Everybody knows my Grandma) Anyway, he started trying to squeeze out of me more info about this recommendation. Instead of making up some John Doe from a few months back, I said my anonymous friend found this barbers on tinternet and read that it was brilliant. After being squeezed more than a lemon, I managed to convince him that it might not have actually been this place, and that I'm just strange. So it worked out well, except for the fact that while he was interrogating me like a Guantanamo inmate he was cutting my hair with the ol' cut-throat razor technique. I've seen this technique before....erm, oh yeah...

But as you can see I'm alive and not a pastried good. Actually, he was bloody good at his job, and did rather a fine job I think. He also shaved me, with an electric razor (THANK GOD!).

Finally, what about this rain?! P*****g it down down here in Leeds. I'd invest in an umbrella but money's currently shorter than a midget's little finger. And Christmas is coming (yayyyyyyy!) so I'm assuming my family is expecting some form of gift (feel free to leave suggestions in the comment box, dear family. Nothing over a fiver though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment